Monday, March 28, 2011

"Simple Pleasures"

Life's simple little pleasures and priceless moments are little satisfying effects you never really anticipated but always take pleasure in...they are Gifts of Life that we subconsciously celebrate in our unique way. How easily we may bypass these moments without recognition...and their significance soon to be forgotten!

COMPUTER CRASH

This became major to me in mid December, 2010 when my computer crashed ...and without its use for several weeks. Consider that daily I play Duplicate Bridge on line (BBO) with various partners; that daily read and send e-mails; that I frequently research information from Internet! I was Lost! This could not be rectified until my son (working in Calgary) returned home for the Christmas/New Year season. He gave me an old “flat screen” of his; then spent hours and hours installing a new system that would work. Explorer was kaput! Linux and Wine work compatibly well together and gave Life to my computer and a Life back to me. The old version of BBO called “the thick client”only performed sporadically...causing numerous disconnections in mid-games. Consequently, I had to resort to the “thin client” (a newer version of BBO with which I was not familiar. I had to re-educate myself with this new format. But WHOOPIE! I was able to play bridge for 2 hours or more without disconnection.
This was MONUMENTAL! And truly a Wonderful Simple Pleasure!

SCREEN SAVER

Friends have long been persuading me to Blog! There are numerous articles, both essay type and prose, that I have written over the past couple of years. This legacy should be preserved, I am told. By utilizing Team Viewer 6, Andrew has been walking me through the process of Blog Writing. First, a dear friend spent hours showing “How to Create a Document” from my writings and developing that process in my mind; my son now puts me again in “foreign territory.” For users who are familiar with computer technology, this is a cinch! I tell my son frequently, “It's easy when you know how!” My learning process is to list “step by step” numerically What do Do! From 3,000 miles away, this is a FEAT! So easy to become frustrated! My old screen saver had a dramatic picture of Yosemite Falls which was a unique photo of scenic drama...loved the view since we had visited that Park. The current flat screen had a pastel blue unidentifiable abstract. In the midst of my challenge to achieve some ability to “post” a written article from the document form, he installed a stunning aerial view of Sugar Loaf Mountain in Rio de Janeiro...as my new screen saver! WOW! It filled my whole screen! Gave me such Pleasure!!! When Andrew was 4, I took him to South America to visit his father's relatives in Chile. After 8 weeks there, we spent a weekend in Buenos Aires with friends from Hamilton. Lastly, a week in Rio. Magnificent! We rode the aerial and cable car to the top of Sugar Loaf Mountain which he remembers well. Each day I use the computer, this Simple Pleasure still meets my eyes with wonder and amazement at its amazing beauty!

Sugar Loaf Mountain is a peak situated in Brazil at the mouth of Guanabara Bay on a peninsula that juts out into the Atlantic Ocean. Rising 1,299 feet above the harbour, its name is said to refer to its resemblance to the traditional shape of concentrated refined sugar. The mountain is only one of several monolithic morrows of granite and quartz that rise straight up from the water's edge in Rio. A glass paneled cable car, capable of holding 65 passengers runs along a 1,400 metre route between two other peaks every 20 minutes. The original cable car was built in 1912 and rebuilt 1972/73 and in 2008. To reach the summit, a passenger takes 2 cable cars. The Italian-made bubble-shape cars offer passengers a 360 degree view of the city and its young mountains, Copacabana Beach and the necklace-shape Bay.

UNEXPECTED COMPLIMENT

Learning and trying to master a few computer techniques has been frustrating at times...which is expected to be when attempting something outside one's range of knowledge. When I successfully published a blog, a dear friend wrote, “You are certainly the Lovely Bird of Paradise taking flight.” I was so impressed! Those 10 words “made my day”, making my little woes seem so trivial!

SOMEWHERE OVER THE 401

In the early September 2010, we were traveling from Ohio, crossing the Ambassador Bridge in Detroit and overnighting in Leamington for the ferry boat visit to Pelee Island and its winery the next day. Returning the following late afternoon eastbound along the 401, the sky was a palette of blues and grays, possibly forecasting rain. The clouds darkened. Like a gorgeous curtain that closes a marvelous stage performance, we viewed double rainbow width sheets of pastel and abstract shadings
descending from the upper sky to the lush green countryside dampened with fresh rain. This spelled Good Luck and Magnificence! It was the climax to a beautiful day, to a beautiful Tennessee vacation.
If an artist had painted this sky-wonder, a viewer would have questioned its authenticity!

MAGIC OF NIGHT LIGHTS

We live in the heart of Escarpment Country. The night view is stunning as one drives from the Ancaster hill or Clappinson's Corners into the city below. Suddenly, as one approaches the escarpment edge, a spectacular fairy-land vista is revealed...thousands of twinkling lights, the graceful Skyway Bridge silhouetted against the midnight sky, the curvature of lights surrounding the shorelines of Bay and Lake. My senses are excitedly stirred every time I view this superb scene...unsurpassed anywhere else in Southern Ontario.

ROSIE AND FAMILY

My apartment has a northwest view. It is a pleasure to enjoy morning coffee and the newspaper as I breakfast on the balcony...this morning it is a “terrace”. I had observed that there was a sort of collection of twigs and grasses on a black wrought iron chair. I sauntered to the far side of the table facing the morning sun and overlooking street activity. As I opened the screen door (to get a coffee refill), I glanced back and SURPRISE! A BIRD was sitting on this raggedy nest! It looked like a dove...yes, a Mourning Dove! I sat about 24 inches from her...and she didn't say a word! This was the beginning of a saga which I chronicled daily about Rosie, her mate and the eggs which hatched 14 days later. (See my articles entitled, From Nuisance to Miracle in 4 parts). What a Study this was to observe the incubating, the 24 hour daily “sitting” by both parents, the chatter between them and the hatching of two healthy babies. A Moment of Surprise...then excitement of becoming “Grandmother”.

THE VIOLIN CRIED TEARS

It was Wednesday morning, going to Klippings for a salon appointment. On the radio I heard a wonderful rendition of Autumn Leaves. Yes, I've heard this song for many years (and if you are like me, I hear the melody and love it, but pay little attention to the lyrics). These words I had heard...had not realized it was about a sad relationship. The male voice was so emotional, that I concurred with him and sympathized with his situation. The violins to me cried tears, as did my eyes. I must have this piece of music to enjoy again and again! The vocal was by Ozzie Bailey. At Indigo, the attendant was most helpful in locating this band on a CD by Duke Ellington...only vocal on it. What a Treasure!

THE SPIRIT OF NATURE

The most spiritual moment for me was at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon in Arizona at sunrise. I was on a trek home, driving my son's van from California to southern Ontario. (You can read about “An Incredible Journey” in a blog that I shall later post). This experience was in early November, 2001
when locals strongly recommended I view the 1,000 feet higher side than the South Rim, at sunrise. Arriving there at 6:15 this chilly morning...no one around...only a brown Park vehicle...the still trees, no breeze...only the quiet of Nature! As I stepped from the Honda van, my breath froze in the frigid air.
As the sun broke the eastern horizon, I heard a few bird tweets as they welcomed the morning. I felt like the First Woman...maybe the Last Woman on Earth. The drama of this view is impossible to describe. It was soul-searching! The upper edge of the canyon walls were first illuminated by the warm rising sun rays; then gradually deepened into the rock layers carved over millions of years. The depth was something dramatic as it opened before my eyes, gradually revealing the Colorado River
far below...looking more like a narrow ribbon as it wound its way turbulently through the chasm.

THE RIDER AND HER HORSE

When Marcia was 14 years, she had been an equestrian, riding for about 6 years at Bertin Stables in Oakville. She had a bevy of friends who enjoyed this recreational challenge. One morning, Jim called requesting Marcia to join Neal to participate in a Jumper Event in Caracas,Venezuela...the class being 14 years and under. Sandra, Jim's wife would be leaving the following day. (Apparently, the Canadian Equestrian Federation had sent a rider who was 14 at time of application, but now 15 at time of this event ...now disqualified.) A coach friend from Puerto Rico had notified Jim. Yes, I agreed...however, Marcia had no passport, but Jim felt certain his wife could get her on the plane with Neal, their son. No Way! She called me from Toronto to come, get her. We stopped and had passport photos taken; I submitted an application for Passport on Tuesday explaining the urgency; a few complications were resolved. She flew on Wednesday to Florida, changing flights to Caracas. On Wednesday evening Neal selected a horse for her to ride...suitable to her ability...as it would be for him (both being gutsy riders). Nine countries were represented in the events from Thursday to Sunday inclusive. Our Canadian riders placed 3rd overall. When on Sunday, I returned home from a Realtors' Open House, the telephone was ringing. Jim Bertin was So Ecstatic! Marcia had won the Sunday's Grand Prix Jumper Derby...riding a magnificent horse over high fences...she and this horse bonded so well together. Can you imagine my thrill to hear this good news? Never even anticipated that our Canadian riders would do so well. They brought home a few trophies...the Big One, she carried home very proudly! And it all began with an innocent and unexpected simple pleasure of being invited to represent her country.

BUT...I SANG, MOM!

When I was teaching Grades 5 and 6 in elementary school, I taught all subjects except French. I was musically talented ...these studies were enjoyed by my students. Every year a grand-scale Music Festival was held at downtown's Hamilton Place. The Music Supervisor, who 3 or 4 times a year visited our classrooms, invited me to assemble a Boys' Choir from our school. I was hesitant to act on this...a new endeavor! With encouragement from both Principal and Supervisor, I accepted. Needing about 30 boys, I held “tryouts” for qualified voices. Jerry was most disappointed when sadly I had to reject him...he couldn't hold his pitch and unable to sing “on key”. His parents contacted me and confided how unhappy Jerry felt. He came and begged, “Please, let me sing in your choir.” I called in the parents for a discussion. It was evident Jerry was keen (and not a disturbing student); to him it would be a monumental experience! I gave them a “conditional yes”. He was to attend all practices. He was to learn the words of both songs. He was to dress accordingly as required. Lastly, he must Not Sing orally! He must “sing with expression and a smile upon his face”...mouthing the words! He was one Happy Jerry who returned home at 4 PM. His parents were thrilled! Yes, he fulfilled all the conditions. The happiest boy in the choir on Festival Night was Jerry who “sang on stage at Hamilton Place”. This experience still brings tears to my eyes. How significant are the Little Things in Life! How Big this was for Jerry!



Recently at a social luncheon, the following two stories were related by a couple dear friends;
I share these with you since they embody the true meanings of Simple Pleasures.

FASHIONING A NEW LIFE

For many years my family lived in Kampala, Uganda (a British Colony) in East Africa. My father was a business man owning 4 lumber mills, 7 houses, numerous cars (e.g. Jaguar, Mercedes, Peugot) and trucks. He entertained business associates in fine style. As British subjects, he could carry on business in Uganda combined with connections in England.

I was born with “a silver spoon in my mouth”! We were blessed with riches beyond our imagination! In our household we had nannies and servants. Never did I iron clothes, clean bathrooms, make my bed, do laundry or bake in the kitchen! We had gardeners. We had chauffeurs who drove us to Private British Schools. Living in Uganda, I learned to speak five languages. I had expensive clothes and perfumes which my father imported from England. I had the Best of Everything!

After Grade 12, my two sisters, older brother and I were sent to England to study in Colleges and Universities. My father provided us each with separate apartments. Following two years of study and with high academic accomplishments, I was admitted to Medical College at my father's request. I felt that this vocation, he wanted for me, was not my interest. After two years I left and became a flight attendant with BOAC.

When Uganda gained its independence from England, we had to renounce our British nationality and become Ugandan citizens in order to remain living in this country, maintaining our family business and lifestyle. All the necessary paperwork was completed in full...and with Passports.

Ugandan economy was run by Asians, mostly business men. Idi Amin, the Military Dictator decided to inherit Asia's money and businesses by declaring that “we were no longer Ugandan citizens”. All our assets were frozen! We were given 90 days to find a new home and leave Uganda.

We were unable to fight for our rights in front of the Ugandan Army!
The United Nations could do nothing to help us!
The British Government would not accept us since we had renounced our British nationality.

All of a sudden, in the “blink of an eye”, in April 1972, we had lost everything...my father, millions of dollars and I thousands from my savings. Our Lifestyle was in ruin! In desperation, we contacted the Canadian Embassy in Kampala. They were receptive to accepting us as eligible “landed immigrants” in October 1972. The Embassy arranged and paid for flights to Montreal. I came with $7.00 in my pocket. We were housed in Army Barracks. The Salvation Army was very generous by providing us with shelter and warm clothing. The Canadian Government was providing those Ugandan Refugees who were unable to find work right away with a $25.00 weekly allowance.
Within six months, part of my family settled in St. Catharines near relatives. My younger brother at age 14, was offered a lumber mill job in Prince George, British Columbia. I rejected this offer, and taking full responsibility for him, came to Vancouver since the only person we knew here was my aunt. We had to find JOBS! I was very fortunate to find a full time position, being here only four days because of my Private British School education. I rented a one-bedroom unfurnished apartment. He found odd jobs at gas stations, etc. We lived meagerly...furniture and food supply was limited; we had one bed...took turns sleeping on it ...or the floor!

My Family was in Canada (except for my parents). We were grateful to the Canadian Government for accepting us to settle in this country as Refugees.

The Little Things in Life, now had Significance and created Appreciation for what we now had.
Thank you, Shoppers' Drug Mart for displaying their expensive perfumes in sample bottles. I recall my
girlfriend and I went there every day to wear “sample perfumes” whenever we could afford to go out.

My younger brother, now an adult, is living in Toronto. After several successful years in a business career and the purchase of my own beautiful Condo Apartment in Richmond, BC, I moved in September, 2009 to Burlington to be near family...adjusting to a new environment, developing new friendships and learning to play Bridge!

PINK SLIPPERS

Over the years, I have volunteered at a Retirement Home, working and meeting so many wonderful people; some will touch your life...and at the same time, break your heart.

John, who is 93 and his wife, Anna, 90 are two such people that I greatly cherish. They live together in this home, happily spending their days.

John, up until recently, still enjoyed his daily bridge game; however, Anna has shown no interest in any type of card game. One afternoon, I had the opportunity to entertain the ladies. I announced that we were going to play cards. Anna started to walk away, insisting she knew nothing about cards. Quickly I persuaded her to stay...convincing her this was an easy game of matching them into pairs and I would sit beside her. She agreed to participate.

At the end of the game, surprisingly Anna won with the most “matching pairs”.
With me, there was “a huge but”!
It was now time for me to hand out the prizes. The bag contained a lot of candy; also in the bag was a pair of pretty pink slippers. For one split second, I thought, “How can I possibly give these slippers to Anna and the rest just candy?” Quickly I assessed the circumstances:

I had such compassion for this darling little lady who has never left her husband's side
(so devoted, they are to each other);
John is now wheelchair bound and had recently suffered a heart attack.

My decision was immediate! With the pink slippers in hand, delightedly I announced that Anna had won the game prize. She was emotionally amazed and with tears in her eyes, acknowledged that she was undeserving of this gift since playing cards was something she had never done. Yet, very proudly, she pranced around like a princess, showing everyone her prize. She is the kindest and most loving person one would ever want tv
Anna is known now to me as “Mrs. Pink Slippers”!

Merle Baird-Kerr
March 27, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment