Sunday, May 15, 2011

Advice ... from MOURNING DOVES

Last summer I was blessed with the opportunity of observing a pair of “mourning doves” who built a nest on a balcony black wrought iron chair seat. Through their incubation time of two white eggs ... 14 to 15 days...two shifts were taken by the parents 24 hours a day. I chronicled their daily activities,
their chatter, the hatching of two white eggs, growth of the fledgelings' feathers and the numerous attempts they made to strengthen their wings for eventual flying.

This is an informative “must” for you to read which I shall publish on this blog beginning July 31st when I first viewed a bird on the nest. Throughout this odyssey, I experienced and learned much about the “Relationship between Humans and Mourning Doves”...I was incredibly surprised and amazed!

Of current interest: This past Sunday, May 8th (Mothers' Day), a delightful sunny day, I opened my balcony door to enjoy a few moments of fresh air with a cup of coffee. WOW! On the same chair is a newly built nest, constructed as last summer's of fine twigs, both long and short and a few grasses. No doves visible anywhere! I expect I won't see my "Rosie" (or other female) until she arrives to lay her precious white eggs.

During “pregnancy” the Parents share the Time and Effort to bring the babies into fruition.
They Feed their young with 'milk' to nourish them for their start in Life.
They provide Shelter (from the storm) and raise their family with whatever means they have.
They Care and Protect their young to help them prepare for a Life beyond the nest...often pushing them out to “fly on their own”.

It is a Story of Affection, of Peace in a harsh landscape.
It is a Story of Violence in often a world of troubled people.
It is a Story of Love and Devotion to one's partner.
It is a Story of Love and Life lost.
It is Story of Grief, Sadness and Sorrow.
YET, One of a New Life, Rebirth and
a Story of Gentleness
from these doves who “mate for life”!

Merle Baird-Kerr
May 12, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment