Tuesday, June 7, 2011

"101 Course in Hay Baling and Storage"




In August 2009, the story about Manure was forwarded to me.
I was so amused that, having read it, I responded to the sender... to educate him about “farm life” where manure was/is produced.
 But, first I share this information with you...
so you are now as knowledgeable as I.

Manure

In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship
and it was also before commercial fertilizer's invention,
so large shipments of manure were common.

It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet;
once water (at sea) hit it, it not only became heavier,
but the process of fermentation began again,
 of which a by-product is methane gas. As the stuff was stored below decks
in bundles, you can see what could (and did) happen.
Methane began to build up below decks
 and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern...
BOOOOM!!!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner
before it was determined just what was happening.

After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the term
“Ship High In Transit”stamped on them,
 which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks
so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo
and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term “S.H.I.T” (Ship High In Transit)
which has come down through the centuries.

You probably didn't know the true history of this word.
Neither die I. I had always thought it was a frustrated golfer's expression!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

101 Course in Hay Baling and Storage”

Raised on a farm as I was, it was a known fact that hay when gathered
MUST be thoroughly dry before being taken to the barn for storage.

The usual procedure “in my day” was to cut the hay, which would
automatically “furrow it” into rows in the field...
to be left to "dry"...then, first  horses, and in later years
a tractor would pull the wagon with "hay loader" hitched behind it...
these three straddling the hay furrow.  The hay loader had rows of "teeth"
that moved vertically, slanting up through the loader and dumped  the loose hay  onto the wagon...a man on the wagon  would space the load evenly until the wagon was full.  Then, unhitching the loader  from the wagon, the horses or tractor would pull it to the side of the barn where an attic trap door to the upper level of the barn (the loft) opened.  Then a huge "fork" would be lowered by pulley, forkful by forkful and lift it high into the barn loft.  Hay must be kept dry!  Ready for use by the farmer, he would ascend to the loft by ladder or staircase, then lower by hand-held-fork, the required hay to the main floor level...used as fodder for his livestock.

Later years, a tractor-drawn baler would straddle  the dry hay furrows in the field...gathering the  hay and automatically pack it into rectangular bales and "cord-bind" each one, facilitating easier manual pick-up and more compact storage.  Bales of hay  would be wagon-drawn to the barn  and again fork-lifted by pulley to the loft. Later again, round bales were introduced...however, these shapes were not conducive to compact storage (but, did create a little space between the bales).

Since my father needed assistance, it was I who was delegated to drive the horses or tractor.  Neighbours helped neighbours with the  summer harvests  of hay,  grain and corn.

One hot summer day, one of the neighbours on the wagon discovered a long slithering garter snake that made its way up the loader...he considered it amusing to toss it toward me on the tractor...landing on my shoulder and on to my lap.  I was so terrified (hating snakes since a young child), I stopped the tractor and "fled the scene"!   My father was most provoked...he forbade me to play softball that evening  with the Burford Bluebirds.  I deemed this "unjust punishment."

It is mandatory that the hay is dry!  If loose in furrows or in bales in the field and rain falls, this hay must remain until thoroughly dry.  Moisture in the hay...or rain seepage into the hay loft, together with summer heat and humidity, could create Methane gas (?) which could end in explosion.

There are usually two cuttings  of hay each year...early summer and autumn.

Did you know this?

"I'm not just a pretty face," as the saying goes!

Upon reading these foregoing comments,  it was Sol who titled
this article for me...and to him,  I am grateful!


Merle Baird-Kerr
written August 16, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment