Wednesday, June 8, 2011

"Golden Years"



A Senior's Moment ~ Getting Older

Have you ever looked in a mirror and wondered who that person is looking back at you? After a moment's reflection, you realize that person is you. After another moment's reflection, you wonder how you got to this place in such a short time. We all know we are going to get older, but nevertheless, it does creep up on us with its changes and challenges.

Some changes are good...if we have family and can enjoy their unconditional love, delighting in who they are without the responsibility! However, some changes are not so good. We notice physically we are not as strong. A few aches and pains appear. As we reach 65 plus, the word “retirement” looms large. For some it can be a liberating time. For others, depending on circumstances and temperament, it can bring a time of adjustment that can be difficult to accept.

Sad But True

Everything is farther away than it used to be.
It is twice as far to the corner and I've noticed they've added a hill.
I've given up running for the bus. It leaves faster than it used to.

It seems they are making stairs steeper than in the old days too;
and have you noticed the smaller print they now use in the newspaper?

There is no use asking anyone to read aloud;
everyone speaks in such a low voice, I can hardly hear them.

The material in clothes ~ so skimpy now, especially around the waist.
It is almost impossible to reach my shoelaces, and I cannot figure out why.

Even people are changing.
They are so much younger than they used to be when I was their age;
on the other hand, people of my own age, are so much older than I am.
I ran across an old classmate the other day, and she has aged badly...
she didn't even know me! I got thinking about the poor thing
while I was combing my hair this morning,
and in doing so, I glanced at my own reflection.
Really now! They just don't make good mirrors anymore.!

(Source Unknown)

I recommend “Hope”. Plan the next phase of your life...”The Golden Years”...and Enjoy Them!

Remember ~ old folks are worth a fortune:
Silver in their hair
Gold in their teeth
Stones in their kidneys
Lead in their feet
Gas in their stomachs.

My Current Boyfriends

I have become a little older since I last saw you
and a few changes have come into my life since then.
I have become a frivolous old gal
and am seeing eight gentlemen every day.

As soon as I wake up, Will Power helps me out of bed.
Then I go to see John.
Then Charlie Horse comes along
and when he is here, he takes a lot of my time and attention.
When he leaves, Arthur Itis shows up and stays the rest of the day.
He doesn't like to stay in one place very long
so we travel from joint to joint.
Oh, yes, I'm flirting with Al Zymer
and thinking of calling Jack Daniels
or Johnny Walker to come and keep me company.
After a busy day, I'm tired
and glad to go to bed with Ben Gay.
What a Life!!!
(Author Unknown)

Now Remember: Life is like a roll of toilet tissue...
the closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes...so have fun.
Think “good thoughts” only;
Learn to laugh at yourself;
Have a great day.

Humour In the Golden Years

AIN'T IT THE TRUTH?
The preacher came to call the other day.
He said that, at my age, I should be thinking of the hereafter.
I told him I do ...all the time!
No matter where I am...the living room, the kitchen,
the bathroom, upstairs or basement...
I ask myself, 'What Am I Here After?'


ALMOST A CENTENARIAN !
A church lady was soon to celebrate her 99th birthday.
The new minister came for a visit one afternoon.

I hear you have been married four times,
yet outlived each of them! Who were they?”, he asked.

The first was a Banker...for his riches.
The second was a Singer...so he could entertain me.
The third was a Preacher...so I could make things right with God.
The fourth was a Funeral Director...to look after me when I passed on.”

The minister then questioned, “How did you choose each of these men?”

My mother had a quote that I recalled:
It's One for the Money!
It's Two for the Show!
It's Three to Get Ready!
It's Four to Go!”

Golden Age” Philosophy

A 92 year old small-framed, well-poised and proud man, who is fully dressed each morning by eight o'clock, with his hair fashionably combed and shaved perfectly, even though he is legally blind, moved
to a nursing home today. His wife of 70 years recently passed away, making the move necessary. After
many hours of waiting patiently in the lobby of the nursing home, he smiled sweetly when told his room was ready. As he manoeuvred his walker to the elevator, I provided a visual description of his small room, including the eyelet sheets that had been hung on his window.

I love it,” he stated with the enthusiasm of an eight-year-old having just been presented with a puppy.

Mr. Jones, you haven't seen the room; just wait.”

That doesn't have anything to do with it,” he replied. “Happiness is something you decide on ahead of time. Whether I like my room or not doesn't depend on how the furniture is arranged...it's how I arrange my mind. I already decided to love it. It's a decision I make every morning when I wake up. I have a choice: I can spend the day in bed recounting the difficulty I have with the parts of my body that no longer work, or get out of bed and be thankful for the ones that do. Each day is a gift, and as long as my eyes open, I'll focus on the new day and all the happy memories I've stored away...just for this time in my life.

Old age is like a bank account. You withdraw from what you've put in. So, my advice to you would be to deposit a lot of happiness in the 'bank account' of memories!”

Thank you for your part in filling my 'Memory Bank' into which I am still depositing,” the nurse commented.

Remember the five simple rules to by happy:
Free your heart from hatred .
Free your mind from worries.
Live simply.
Give more.
Expect less.


Merle Baird-Kerr
written June 4, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment