Monday, February 11, 2013

Four Candles



Several months ago, Tom (an ardent follower of my blog writings) sent me this
article.  So mesmerized by its beauty...so absorbed by its message...so deeply
saturated in its quiet ambiance...so spiritually moved with the background
music of  “The Impossible Dream”... I wish to share this experience with you.

          In the evening glow of a silent room, four cylindrical candles slowly
          burn...casting amber light  into this stillness...with their golden flames.
          One could almost hear them conversing:

The First Candle (in close up view) said, “I am Peace! The world is full
          of anger and fighting.  Nobody can keep me lit.”
          Then the Flame of Peace went out completely.

The Second Candle (highlighted) said, “I am Faith! I am no more
          indispensable.  It doesn't make sense that I stay lit another moment.”
          Just then, a breeze softly blew out Faith's flame.

The Third Candle sadly began to speak, “I am Love!  People don't
          understand my importance, so they simply put me aside.  They even  
          forget to love those who are nearest to them.”

Suddenly...with three burned out candle flames visible, a child enters the
room and sees the three unlit candles.  “Why aren't you burning?  You're
supposed to stay lit till the end.”  Saying this, the child began to cry.

The Fourth Candle answered, “Don't be afraid, I am Hope!
          While I am still burning, we can relight the other candles.”

          With shining eyes, the child took the Candle of Hope
          and lit the other candles.

          The Greatest of these is Love...but the Flame of Hope
          should never go out of your life!

          “With Hope, each of us can live with Peace, Faith and Love.”

The Impossible Dream
(lyrics  by Joe Darion)

To dream...the impossible dream...
To fight...the unbeatable foe...
To bear...with unbearable sorrow...
To run...where the brave dare not go...
To right the unrightable wrong...
To love...pure and chaste from afar...
To try...when your arms are too weary...
To reach...the unreachable star!

This is my quest, to follow that star...
No matter how hopeless, no matter how far...
To fight for the right, without question or pause...
To be willing to march into Hell, for a Heavenly cause...

And I know if I'll only be true, to this glorious quest,
That my heart will lie peaceful and calm,
when I'm laid to my rest...
And the world will be better for this:
That one man, scorned and covered with scars,
Still strove, with his last ounce of courage,
To reach...the unreachable star.

Philosophical Messages

A candle loses nothing
if it is used to light another!

A human life is like a candle ~
Sometimes, it has to struggle!
(Eleanor Roosevelt)

Your true age cannot be measured
by candles!

Merle Baird-Kerr … written February 11, 2013
To comment...scroll down...may sign in as 'anonymous”
or e-mail...inezkate@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment