Saturday, December 5, 2015

Prelude to Christmas

Christmas 2014 was highlighted with wonderful family visitations, Christmas brunches and lunches, TV movies: “Guess Who's Coming to Christmas”, “The Tree that Saved Christmas”, “Horses of McBride”, etc. On Sunday, the 21st I attended a majestic “Festival of Carols and Lessons for Christmas” at Port Nelson United Church. Enthralled by the Biblical presentation by the church choir dressed in cassocks of white and blue, the various scripture readers and the resounding music of the Casavant Organ (built in Quebec 1962 ~ 2,968 pipes), I recalled a simple country church Christmas concert of several years ago.

In my early teaching years in Hamilton, I returned weekends to Brantford, my parents' home. On Sundays I attended Central Baptist Church on Brant Avenue ~ participated in their music program, was influential with the Youth Group, initiating a monthly 'news bulletin' called The Fledgling. Sunday afternoons, a small group travelled to a rural community church to conduct a service for the local parishioners. They requested a Christmas Concert for their children and other families to enjoy. “What could we do for them?” was the question.

I had heard about “The Littlest Angel” a beautiful story that not only portrays the Christmas message, but would also 'melt the hearts' of listeners and would be entertaining for these rural families. From somewhere, I obtained this story ~ with inspiration, I rewrote it into a play the following two or three weeks. With a nucleus group of parents, we discussed the essence of The Littlest Angel presentation to be staged. The farm men rebuilt a stage for us...the mothers made costumes for their children...with the old pump-organ, a small choir rehearsed accompanying carols to be sung. My contribution was making gorgeous angel-wings for the children to wear. How excited all these church people became! Throughout the community, word 'spread like wildfire' about the upcoming concert...to such an extent, we scheduled an additional presentation. WOW...I really felt 'on the hook' for the success of this!

Well, my Dear Blog Readers, after these many years, I've located The Littlest Angel...written by Charles Tazewell. Although he called it a 'short story', I've divided it into two parts for 'blog presentation.' I invite you to read this heart-warming story and to envision it presented as a 'stage play' where many children, with a narrator, portrayed little angels, shepherds, adult angels (and archangels), and the 'heavenly host'. Part 1 will be submitted in a few days.

It came upon a midnight clear,
That glorious song of old,
From angels bending near the Earth
To touch their harps of gold.
Peace on Earth...Goodwill to Men,
From Heaven's all gracious King!”
The world in solemn stillness lay
To hear the angels sing.

Written by Merle Baird-Kerr...December 27, 2014
To comment about the upcoming publications,

No comments:

Post a Comment