Friday, August 25, 2017

Knowledge to Inspire Us ~ Part 2

Advice from Audrey Hepburn
For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others.
For beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness.
For poise, walk with the knowledge you are not alone.”

Did You Know?

Annual Eagle Ride Motorcycle Event: 'Liberty for Youth' holds its seventh annual Eagle Ride on August 26 at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum...10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The event raises money for the non-profit's mentoring program and post-secondary scholarships for youth. It goes 'rain or shine'. For information, visit libertyforyouth.org.

McMaster Ranks No. 3 in Canada ~ 66 in World: McMaster University is the third-best university in Canada and No. 66 in the world...according to an annual international ranking recently released. “This is an outstanding result for McMaster,” president Patrick Deane said in a post on Mac's Daily News website. “Our faculty, students, and staff should take full credit for these rankings...which look at six indicators, including the number of staff and alumni receiving Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals...and the number of articles published in Nature and Science journals.
Other Canadian universities that made the international list include
the University of Toronto, the University of Brirish Columbia and McGill University.

Female Firefighters: The Hamilton Fire Department is accepting applications for the 3rd annual Camp FFIT (Female Firefighters in Training). Young women ages 16 to 19 are invited to apply. The camp provides an opportunity for women to explore the fire service as a career. The cost is $50 and subsidies are available for those who qualify. For details, visit www.hamilton.ca/campffit.

For Better or Worse” Cartoon: Teen-age son stands dejectedly against a tree...(Nobody likes me. Nobody really likes me.) Still leaning against the tree...(Sure, they pretend to like me, but when it comes to choosing a friend, nobody wants to choose me.) And then he ponders, (They only like me if I do something dumb or act silly...or take a dare or something.) Then he shouts out of frustration, (Why do I hafta be a clown?!! Why can't I just be boring an' ordinary like everyone else?!!)

My Newspapers Are My Friends: Ruth Miller of Ancaster submitted these words to “Readers Write”
in The Spectator:
I love newspapers. They are my friends. When I get up in the morning, they are in my mailbox waiting for me. So I go on my morning walk around the neighbourhood, then I settle down with my coffee and my newspapers. The Spec is first and I read left to right until I am finished. Then I circle features, comment page, letters, Jeff Mahoney, Paul Wilson. Then the classifieds ~ lives, anniversaries, graduations and births. I look forward to the weekend reads in The Spec, Globe and Mail, Toronto Star, New York Times and the Ancaster News. But the comics are the first...everything I need to know about life is in the funny papers.

Paul Benedetti ~ I enjoy his take on life. Seems that last year I walked my granddaughter to kindergarten...this morning she drove off with my car. Rabbi Baskin is a good read at the end of the day. His writings direct and guide me to help live more deeply.
So you can take my TV, but keep your hands off my newspapers!

Inspiring Comments by Trudeau: Andrea Rado was encouraged to read that Prime Minister Trudeau continues to be an advocate for welcoming newcomers to Canada. He emphasized that migrants must seek asylum legally and respect the law. He referred to the pressure placed on existing sources due to 6,500 refugees arriving in Quebec by the end of June...with up to 12,000 expected by the end of the year. With the majority of those arriving in Montreal from the U.S. being of Haitian descent, the Trump administration's plan to end the program granting Haitians temporary protected status is being blamed. The end to this program could send as many as 60,000 Haitians back to their birthplace.

Trudeau states, “As a nation with one of the highest standards of living in the world, it is our duty as global citizens to offer aid to those who are asking for assistance. A Commitment to creating an environment of respect and inclusivity for newcomers is the responsibility of Canadians nationwide.”
It's inspiring to know that in spite of xenophobic political climate south of the border,
our prime minister is committed still, to making this a priority.

Hamilton Psychiatrist Completes Lake Tahoe Swim: (written by Natalie Paddon...The Spec)
It was 'gruelling' and 'long', but psychiatrist Marilyn Korzekwa finished her swim across Lake Tahoe in the time she expected. The 60-year-old completed the arduous journey in 17 hours ~ reaching shore around 1:30 p.m. after having set out at 8:30 the night before. “I haven't swum that far in a lake since Lake Ontario in 1984. It was a long 34 kilometres.” Dr. Korzekwa (the first Canadian to complete the Tahoe crossing) immersed herself in the marathon swim to raise money for Sashbear Foundation, a nonprofit organization that helps families whose loved ones struggle with mental illness.
The biggest challenges the swimmer faced were the swells,
which she described as 'smooth waves' that made the journey difficult.
A second motion sickness pill 'saved the swim' for Korzekwa. “I felt like quitting, but I remember that things change from hour to hour...and if you push through, often it goes away. Life is like that!

Raven's Run 8 Miles Every Day on South Beach for 42 Years: Laura Lee Huttonbach noticed on her regular South Beach runs (in Miami) that she would always pass by an older man with long wavy hair, a salt-and-pepper beard, and jet black running shorts. They'd cordially wave at each other on afternoon runs back then in 2011, He was Robert 'Raven' Kraft, the legendary runner who has run 8 miles on the Beach every single day...rain or shine...for 42 years. Bare-chested and always clad in a black headband and a pair of New Balance sneakers, 'Raven' is the subject of Huttenbach's new book, “Running With Raven.” She explores Raven's life as a songwriter, runner, storyteller and South Beach icon.
Raven said he has run every day starting Jan. 1, 1975....hasn't missed a day since!
Huttenbach said whe was fascinated with Raven's worldview, which is shaped by his appetite for the news and conversations with people who come from all over the world to run with him.

Human behaviour flows from 3 main sources:
desire, emotion and knowledge. (Plato)

Between Friends (Cartoon): Blonde sipping coffee with Brunette neighbour, says, “Women of a certain age implies an old woman...but what the heck does 'old' mean?” She continues, “I mean, everything's relative ...50 is older than 40...40 is older than 30...30 is older than 20. How can you get around the fact that you'll ALWAYS be older than someone else? Brunette confidently states, “50 is younger than 60...60 is younger than 70...and 70 is.....”

Written by Merle Baird-Kerr: August 24, 2017

My response to cartoon re Blonde and Brunette...to women's ages,
I'm not old ~ I've just been young a long time!

No comments:

Post a Comment