Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Collectable Photo ~ a Reality?

For a few years, while my son was working by assignment
at a bank in Manhattan, I created a scrapbook of local pictures...
depicting scenery, animal & bird life, and events occurring
 in and about Hamilton and Burlington. His office cohorts
 were astounded at the beauty of 'Canada'
since most could not relate to southern Ontario, 
 or the Golden Horseshoe.
Although, now working locally as a computer analyst (and how could I exist without his knowledge and skill assistance?), I've continued my collection with pics of interest: scenery plus, harbour activities, wildlife, the RBG's floral displays and home gardens. My favourite animals are cats (especially the tigers, leopards, lions and jaguars), dogs, horses and deer...the latter two, in my heart and soul, are the most graceful 4-leggeds on our planet...should also include Panda Bears and Koalas.

Recently, I snipped a dramatic photo from an advertisement in a local newspaper ~ he was a majestic, stately lion sprawled across a wooden wall ~ regal beyond imagination! He spoke to me!

My Burlington home is nestled in Escarpment country, close to the shore of Lake Ontario...adjacent to Hamilton's 2-tier city which features over 100 waterfalls within its region...Couttes Paradise (a nature water gem of aquatic significance). Burlington North is loaded with 'escarpment's green rolling hills, winding streams and rock formations'...one being Rattlesnake Point, near Milton. Its panorama is one of treed beauty across the broad nature-blessed valley...and from where, on a clear day, one can see the CN Tower in Toronto. Many locals, tourists and rock climbers ascend to this Nature gem to explore.

A year ago, in early October, I drove through our autumn-hued countryside to photo-record Jack Frost's transformation of greens to golds and reds. Partway up the escarpment toward Rattlesnake Point, I stopped to admire the 180-degree scenic panorama enfolding before my eyes. Then, at the Point, parked my car...trail-walking to the rocky precipice to savour Nature's extensive view. Returning to my vehicle, I was followed by an adorable tawny-coloured lion cub...or was it a lynx? He stopped as I searched for my key...and waited.
Where did he come from?
Where was his family...his Mom? (and Dad was nowhere to be seen!)
How could anyone not LOVE him?
Still, he sat like a small statue before me. Kneeling before him, I held popcorn in my open hand. With roughness of tongue, he licked it firmly. His chocolatey-brown eyes haunted me. Should I report him...or should I feed and protect him? The little guy must be hungry.
Needing a name...I called him Zeke.
He yawned...his eyes dreamy...wanting to lay down and curl himself into a cub-ball. Unable to resist, I cuddled him in the crook of my left arm...and drove him to my abode.

After the demise of my 'Maine Coon”, Sheba, I'd kept her toys, her sleeping mat and some cat 'kibble'...the latter I placed on a saucer in front of Zeke who quickly gobbled all of it...then drank water from a bowl (lapping as though from a woodland stream) to quench his thirst. Zeke curled on the mat beside me feet...quickly drowsed into more than a cat-nap...and dreamt he was in paradise.
Decisions! Decisions! Awakening, Zeke was frisky, wanting to play.
Like Sheba, he brushed past my right leg...looking enquiringly into my eyes.
At that moment, he won my heart.
As a cat, he'd leap to the sofa cushions, then to the top...sprawling his lean body, stretched head to tail along this upper edge for a cub-view of the room. “Well, Zeke, as a child-lion, you must learn some manners...and household regulations.” Locating Sheba's blue collar and leash, I introduced him to this 'control measure' and taught him to walk on my left side at all times.
Zeke quickly learned that there was a time to play...and a time to learn!
Zeke was an intelligent lion cub...one who'd say, he was a 'quick learner'!
Zeke Was a Good Boy!
* When he needed to 'relieve himself' (if in the house), he'd look for me...then head for the door...sit and and wait for his exit to the back corner of the yard.
* Bursting with wake-up energy, he'd look for food and water to sate his voracious hunger and thirst...then wait at the patio door for his outside romp and play. If I failed to respond to 'his signals', he'd locate the leash, then drag it and place it at my feet.
* As his 'protector' he lavished on all attention I gave him; daily I'd hold him on my lap and brush his teeth by holding his jaws open...he seemed to enjoy the minty-taste; then cuddling him on my lap, I gently combed and brushed his mane as it steadily grew in. In appreciation, he licked my hands.
* Neighbours became intrigued with my 'household kitty' as daily I'd walk, trot and run along the sidewalks with Zeke...while all passer-bys were confounded by this energetic pet.
Overnight, he'd sleep on a mat beside my bed...mornings he'd waken me with gentle paws.
  • In early December, winter arrived with a 6 to 8 inch snowfall. Letting Zeke outside, he was stunned, lifting a front leg to shake off the snow, then the other front leg (as my Sheba did)...then with his back legs, he playfully kicked off the white stuff...and Oh, What Fun it was, to Dash Through the Snow!
  • Through constant effort, he learned to Sit..Stay...and Come, upon request; and he learned not to jump at visitors with his outlandish enthusiasm.
Always, I praised him for good behaviour...patting the side of his neck...and looking into his golden-brown eyes, I'd tell him: “Good Boy!”

Dependent on me as his saviour, when showing his affection, he'd stand on his back legs...place his front paws on my shoulders (claws withdrawn)...and as I bent, he'd lick my face. This action reminded me of the Husky Dog Teams (each of 16 dogs) in Alaska's annual Iditirod race of about 1,000 miles over 8 to 15 days in early March. Siberian Huskies love to run...and they loved their 'mushers'...and often, one of the team dogs would stand on back legs and with front paws on the master's shoulders, would 'kiss' the human face at day's end.

Quickly growing was Zeke...and soon I realized that I could not forever keep him...he needed to return to a lion's life. I called my friendly veterinarian who advised me to prepare for Zeke's return to a habitat replacement for wild animals; a few contacts he gave me: Ontario Wildlife Rescue...The Wildlife Centre for Rehabilitation...even the African Lion Safari based in rural Cambridge.

Saddened to consider this dilemma, I knew it was necessary for Zeke's livelihood to engage in LION LIFE with fellow pride members. Occasionally I returned to visit Zeke...who'd always meet me with his Husky-Dog-Hug and Kiss!

* * * * * * *

Lauren Hill states, “The strong mother doesn't tell her cub,
Son, stay weak so the wolves can get you.”
She instructs, “Toughen up! This is the reality we're living in!”

Composed by Merle Baird-Kerr...August 29, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment