Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Acronym for Acorn

(Autumn Craving, Offers Reassuring News)

'Tis said, “The acorn doesn't fall far from the oak!”
True...yet it is a question of survival. Let me tell you my tale.

I'm a little acorn, green and brown;
My father is a sturdy oak, my mother is unknown.
I hope someone finds me before I hit the ground
And takes me home somewhere, to plant in their town...
So I can grow and grow and grow and grow
as tall as my Pa!

My story is akin to being 'straight out of a fairy tale'...I am told.
But, first, permit me to relate about my 'family tree':
OAKS belong to the Beech-Tree family.
OAKS, being a deciduous tree, shed all their leaves in the fall.
OAK trees can reach heights as tall as 70 feet and widths over 9 feet.
The spread of OAK branches may span between 85 and 135 feet.
OAKS begin producing seeds (called acorns) and some begin to sprout
after reaching 20 years of age like my Pa...or before age 50.
After OAKS reach 100 years, they will begin to produce
an average of 2,200 acorns yearly.

My Birth: Pistillate flowers emerge on my 'parent tree' in late April or early May (5 to 10 days after the appearance of staminate flowers.) After their pollination and fertilizer, my development began to form and allowed to mature late in August.

Dr. Oakley told my Pa, “Acorns that you produce are nothing short of 'magical'!
A small golden ball transforms into a majestic tree when you do the right 'abracadabra'! But for an acorn to survive is tough!” My Pa asked, “How does my 'seed' develop and succeed?” The Doc stated, “Acorns are small fruit from such big trees. The Parent Oak packs his pods full of everything required to sprout and grow into seedlings. Your acorns may hang on the tree until sufficiently ripe before falling to the ground...to germinate in autumn. At this time, the seed must provide its own energy for root growth, and not relying on sunshine-based photosythesis. Your healthy acorn, if he survives, contains a high percentage of carbohydrates to keep the new seedling going until the following spring.”

What are my acorns' chances of survival?” asked Pa. “Not Good!” said the Doc. It's a case of BE EATEN or BE RESCUED by a human hand desiring to plant an oak seedling in his yard or nearby park so it can mature into a healthy, sturdy oak, like yourself.” As a son to his father, “I'll remain in your sheltered Oak, Pa for as long as possible...knowing that, as you told me, the harvesting of perfect nuts for tree planting are those acorns that remain on the tree rather than be damaged on the ground or be ravaged by hungry beasties below...or raked into the human's dead leaves for disposal.”
Pa Oak agreed to my 'hanging around' and further advised,
The best time for humans to rescue acorns for tree planting
is when your colour begins changing from green to brown.”

Observations From My Mighty Oak Home: Bluejays flitted around several times...even a crow or two.
Insects sought broken acorns...wild turkeys and ruffed grouse were in the hunt...squirrels, chipmunks and other rodents were busy, busy, busy...all grabbing acorns to eat on site or ground-bury for winter snacks...often hiding them in the bark crevices of the trees where they'd winter-nest. Pa told me that deer and even black bear (in some areas) feasted on ground acorns prior to winter's snows.
Further, he told me, “Acorns are a source of food for wildlife
who treasure the content of protein in the nuts.”
It is no wonder that very few fallen acorns survive to sprout and produce a new oak tree!

Harboured in Pa's home of many branches, limbs and leaves...the magical happening occured one day! A family with son and daughter were searching in our woodland for Oak Trees. Locating their Oak of choice was Pa's...with its many 'brownish acorns'. The father sent his son to climb our tree and within his bag, he placed several 'ripe acorns'. 'TAKE ME! TAKE ME!” I called...and into his hands I went. Their home housed a large fenced yard...the man of the house and son with shovels, dug holes for the planting of 3 or 4 oaks-to-be. And the remaining gathered acorns from Pa's tree were given to neighbours for planting. I was safely protected in the warm earth...and as winter approached, covered with a soft white blanket. Now, the future of my Life was Secure and Fulfilled!
My Home, Sweet Home!

P.S. I love my family of Oaks ~ over 800 species throughout the world.
Each member has distinguishing features including: leaves of different shapes...barks of various textures...and leaves that produce different colours during autumn.

White Oak Tree with 300-Year-Old Roots Given Heritage Status
(News October 21, 2011 Burlington Post)
A White Oak in Burlington, Ontario that is at least 300 years old has been given a heritage designation by the province. The city-owned, 30 metre (100-foot) high tree has a circumference of nearly 500 metres (16.7 ft.) and is quite likely one of the oldest and largest Quercus alba specimens in Canada, according to the Burlington Historical Society. Located at Allview Avenue, a short street on the north shore of Burlington Bay, the White Oak was a benchmark for a treaty arranging the purchase from the Mississauga First Nation for the British Crown of a block of land that became the 3,450-acre parcel of land known as Brant's Block. Linda McKay from the Society stated, “It brings more history to the community and makes people more aware of the tree and its historical worth.”
A brief ceremony celebrating the Heritage Tree, commemorated it with a plaque.

The Oak Tree
Through the winds of unpredictability comes a strength
we never knew...
A mighty wind blew night and day.
It stole the Oak Tree's leaves away.
Then snapped its boughs and pulled its bark
until the Oak was tired and stark.

But still the Oak Tree held its ground
while other trees fell all around.
The weary wind gave up and spoke,
“How can you still be standing, Oak?”

The Oak Tree said, “I know that you
can break each branch of mine in two,
carry every leaf away,
shake my limbs and make me sway.

But I have roots stretched in the earth
growing stronger since my birth.
You'll never touch them, for you see,
they are the deepest part of me.

Until today, I wasn't sure
of just how much I could endure.
But now, I've found, with thanks to you,
I'm stronger than I ever knew!”
(by Johnny Ray Ryder Jr.)

Composed by Merle Baird-Kerr...September 25, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment