Monday, April 30, 2018

Olympians' Impressive Words

A Look at some notable quotes from the PyeongChang Winter Games
published by The Canadian Press

At the end of the day, a medal's a medal ~ and I'm going to hold this medal tight to me and it's going to be as good as the individual event. I'm going to enjoy it ~ and that's for me to decide.
Canadian figure skater, Patrick Chan, when asked
if a 'team gold medal' could make up for missing individual gold.

We also needed to deliver a message to prove that we're ready and trained. We're committed to this and want to be an integral part of the team ~ and to contribute as best we could. We approached it as if it all came down to us. Ice dancer, Tessa Virtue on preparing for the 'free dance' after learning that their Canadian teammates had already clinched a gold medal in the team event.

I could feel the pressure when I got here, especially after my silver medal (at 2014 Winter Games) in Sochi. Now, I've won everything there is to win in my sport. The feeling is unbelievable! I've lived this moment a million times in my dreams ~ and can't wait for the medal ceremony Tuesday. Canadian moguls star, Mikael Kingsbury after winning his first Olympic gold medal.

This 'mixed doubles' is so much fun to play. If I was just starting out curling, and I had the choice to play 'team curling' or 'mixed doubles' I'd certainly play 'mixed doubles! It's quicker...it's more athletic...and you don't have to take 3 hours to play. Canadian curler, John Morris after combining with Winnipeg's Kaitlyn Lawes to win the gold medal.

I'm really stubborn. I was like, 'I wanted to compete. I will compete!' Canadian snowboarder Laurie Blouin, who won a silver medal in 'slope-style' despite a hard crash in training a few days earlier.

Clearly what we want is for great performances to be applauded
and that's what the Olympic Games is about. We are not in control of social media
...and unfortunately these incidents do occur from time to time.It's regrettable.
International Olympic Committee spokespeson Mark Adams on Canadian short-track speed-
skater, Kim Boutin receiving angry tweets after her controversial bronze medal
in the women's 500 metres.

A lot of work has gone behind this and I'm really proud to win this medal ~ right now, it's a lot of emotion. Short track speed skater, Kim Boutin after being bumped up from 4th to 3rd to win a bronze inthe women's 500-metre event.

I have had some really touching messages from people who are 'still in the closet' and they said that I've really inspired them ~ and helped them to try to accept themselves more! Canadian pairs figure skater, Eric Radford on being the first openly gay male athlete to win an Olympic gold medal.

I don't know if it's been quite like I expected. I believe when the guys were trying to 'make the team' they were playing harder. Then, once they made it, they were worried about being injured. So I'm hoping we get back to the team that's ready to go ~ and play hard again. Canadian men's hockey coach Willie Desjardins, a day before his team opened its Olympic tournament against Switzerland.

The Canadians, there's no surprise. They always come 'full on.'
Big heart and a lot of drive and straight-line hockey. And we play similar.
Switzerland men's hockey coach Patrick Fischer on taking on Canada.

It's the energy she brings on and off the ice every single day. She's got a heart of gold. She never takes a moment off. Sometimes we have to scale her back just in terms of importance of rest and recovery and how that can influence your performance. Canadian women's hockey coach Laura Schuler on Marie-Philip Poulin who heads up a new leadership group in PyeongChang.

I always felt that I was able to do something special on the ice, but I was never able to show it. I had hit a wall in my career. I found that different way and got way more than I ever would have hoped. Speedskater Ted-Jan Bloeman on how his move from the Netherlands to Canada boosted his career.

It's incredible. The first one was awesome, but to come out here and race it with these guys...it's such an amazing feeling to do it in a team format. I put together the best run I could...they followed it up and we got the redemption from 4 years ago ( finishing just off the podium at the 2014 Games). Alex Gough on winning her second luge medal in PyeongChang by helping the relay team win silver.

It's the sweetest (ending) it could possibly be right now. Canadian figure skater, Eric Radford, on winning pairs bronze with Meagan Duhamel in what is likely to be their last Olympic appearance.

It was a close game, could have gone against us. Anytime you win here, feels good because that one especially was a grind. Canada's men's curling skip, Kevin Koe whose team beat Norway 7-4.

We're here to win a gold medal! Canada's women's hockey forward, Meghan Agosta
on movng into second all-time with her 18th Olympic goal in a 2-1 win over United States.

Skaters Sing New Lyrics ~ Sort Of,”
wrote Joshua Clipperton of The Canadian Press.
From PyeongChang, Korea Republic: Canada's Olympic athletes are still getting used to their national anthem's new lyrics. Moments after winning the country's first gold medal at the Winter Games, with a dominating performance in the 'team figure skating event,' Monday, Patrick Chan searched the new gender-neutral version to O Canada on his phone. “I looked it up; I googled it really quick to ensure that I knew when it was coming,” he said with a grin.
Bill C-210 passed by the Canadian Senate last month changed the national anthem's
official lyrics from “in all in thy sons command to...in all of us command.”
The Olympic Committee informed athletes about the switch ahead of the Games in South Korea.
While the skaters were all in on trying to sing the new version, it didn't quite come off as planned. “We reminded each other before we went to the presentation,” stated Eric Radford. “OK, these are the new words. Then we were singing and we got near the end and I was like, Where did that lyric go. I don't even remember what I sang. “When the anthem came, I still sang the wrong lyric,” added Meagan Duhamel.I laughed to myself and thought, It's an old habit, I guess!”
Scott Moir, who carried the Canadian flag with icedance partner, Tessa Virtue, said,
it was important to set the tone by belting out the new lyrics after their victory.
We're so proud of Canada for making the change.
That's why we marched in together with the flag. It's 2018. It's about time!”

Scripted by Merle Baird-Kerr...February 16, 2018
All comments welcome: mbairdkerr@cogeco.ca or inezkate@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment